The objectives are reducing the number of vessels engaged in IUU fishing in the Indian Ocean area in order to enforce national laws and regional fisheries management measures and supervise the fisheries activities to promote the sustainability of this economic sector.
The specific objective is to pool and share existing capacities of coastal states in the region to consolidate and perpetuate the regional MCS strategy by monitoring regional fisheries, through targeted and deterrent controls based on risk analysis.
The establishment of a regional information system :
- VMS data Exchanges
- Remote sensing of fishing activities by satellite radar
- Collection of other operational data by IOC
- Observers datas
- IOTC datas
- Data from neighboring countries (South Africa, Mozambique, Kenya, Tanzania, Somalia)
- Datas from the regional strategy against piracy and « Atalante »
- Datas from vessels licensed
- Establishment of an operational analysis group
- Specific support to « Centre National de Contrôle et de Surveillance des Pêches » (Fisheries monitoring centre) in Comoros
Maritime and aerial patrols
- Maritime joint patrols
- Aerial patrols
Governance network for the coordination of activities
Regional coordination unit of the Regional Fisheries monitoring strategy
- Press release about the IOC initiatives and activities and partnership with EU
- Contribution to deter illegal fishing
The expected results are :
- At the regional level, operational coordination of joint patrols, regardless of the financing instrument, through a regional coordination unit which provides the overall governance of the regional strategy for fisheries surveillance.
- At the regional level complementarities maritimes zones for joint patrols with both EDF and the DG Mare budget available. This thus includes Mozambique, Kenya, Tanzania and Somalia alongside IOC Member States.
- At the regional level, optimized use of patrol vessels and aircrafts as well as new technologies such as radar satellite.
- Regional integrated system for national and regional activities and a integrated network for fisheries officers working in the regional team during joint patrols.
- At the regional level, an automatic exchange system for VMS data and a regional information with the creation of the operational analysis system cell device.
- At the national level, MCS effort is strenghtened in the EEZ of each partners State.
12.000.000 Euros European Union cofinancing of IOC membres States at least 20%, from 2007 to 2014
- France/Reunion Island